Chicago Legend Tests Positive, FARGO News, Tom Hanks, and More

Chicago Legend Tests Positive, FARGO News, Tom Hanks, and More

Chicago's acclaimed documentary filmmaker and Kartemquin Films co-founder Gordon Quinn (pictured here accepting his Peabody Award), whose many credits include the classic HOOP DREAMS and recent Oscar nominee MINDING THE GAP, has been diagnosed with coronavirus. Here is the latest on this Chicago legend's status, from friend Jenny Rohrer:

"Our dear friend Gordon Quinn is in Northwestern Hospital in Chicago with Covid-19. He seems to have caught the virus while at the Australian International Documentary Conference in Melbourne. He's been sick for about a week, following having a hard time finding a Covid-19 test, and finally being admitted to the ER by his doctor. I just spoke with his wife, Meg Gerken, who will co-author this Caring Bridge site. Meg is self-isolating till the end of the month, but is feeling fine currently. Meg just told me they put Gordon on a ventilator at midnight last night because he couldn't breathe. Please spread the news about this site as we'll keep it up to date with the latest news. Please pray, wish hard or do whatever you can to bring good health back to this wonderful man."

Click here to visit Gordon's CaringBridge page, where you can leave a comment for Gordon and show your support. More updates here at screenmag.com as they are made available.

Chicago Lockdown Begins Saturday

Following similar mandates for Los Angeles and New York, in an effort to curb the COVID-19 outbreak, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker is expected to order all Illinois residents to “shelter in place” beginning Saturday. Click here for full details here at screenmag.com

China Movie Theaters Set to Reopen?

The China Film Group in Shanghai and the China Film Bureau are reportedly opening up their offices again, a sign that movie theaters in China could open again at the end of the month. China’s box office has lost about $2 billion from the closure. Click here for the full report from Deadline.

Fargo Pushes Release Date

The fourth season of the acclaimed anthology series FARGO, being filmed in Chicago and starring Chris Rock, is pushing its premiere date indefinitely, originally scheduled for April 19th.

"Due to the postponement of production related to the coronavirus, the fourth installment of FX's award-winning limited series Fargo will no longer premiere on Sunday, April 19th. A new premiere date will be determined once production resumes," FX said in a statement.

Eight out of the season's ten episodes had been completed when production was halted earlier this month. The highly anticipated fourth season is set to chronicle two feuding crime syndicates - one Black American and one Italian American - in 1950s Missouri at the end of the Great American migration.

Universal's Bold Move

Starting today, in an unprecendented move, Universal Studios is releasing some of its newest films that were still in the middle of their theatrical runs — including THE INVISIBLE MAN, THE HUNT, and EMMA - on digital platforms to rent for $20. Meanwhile, the upcoming TROLLS WORLD TOUR, starring Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake, which was set to release in theaters on April 10th, will now also be available to rent on demand the same day it hits theaters. If it even hits said theaters.

This change in course comes after major movie theater chains AMC Theaters and Regal Cinemas closed their theaters temporarily amid the coronavirus pandemic. Prior to the closures, the industry suffered an expected and historically poor weekend at the box office, one that saw the worst numbers for that week of the year since 1995. “Given the rapidly evolving and unprecedented changes to consumers’ daily lives during this difficult time, the company felt that now was the right time to provide this option in the home as well as in theaters," Universal said in a statement. You can now find EMMA and all of these films on Amazon, iTunes, and various platforms across the net.

Tom Hanks Is Doing Fine

And to close this roundup with some positive news... Safe to say the country was shook when big screen icon Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson were diagnosed with COVID-19 last week. This week, it was announced that the couple had been released from a Queensland hospital and gone into self-quarantine. Mr. Hanks delivered the good news in a facebook post on Wednesday, wrapped up with some much-needed humor...

"Hey folks. Good News: One week after testing Positive, in self-isolation, the symptoms are much the same. No fever but the blahs. Folding the laundry and doing the dishes leads to a nap on the couch. Bad news: My wife @ritawilson has won 6 straight hands of Gin Rummy and leads by 201 points. But I have learned not to spread my Vegemite so thick. I travelled here with a typewriter, one I used to love. We are all in this together. Flatten the curve. Hanx"

Check back at screenmag.com for updates throughout the week.